New Bern, NC 28560
In New Bern, North Carolina bed bugs were nearly eradicated as a common pest in the 1940’s. Unfortunately, they are reappearing in record numbers across North Carolina and around the United States. Bed bug infestations have been most commonly reported in motels, hotels, dormitories, apartments, shelters and transport vehicles, but also infest homes. In order to treat them effectively, D & D Pest Control Co’s technicians undergo specialized training to understand their biology and behavior.
Bed Bugs Characteristics
- Adults are about ¼ inch long and dark brown to reddish brown in color
- Oval, flattened bodies that resemble apple seeds
- Spread easily by “hitchhiking” on people and belongings
- Females lay 1 to 5 eggs per day and 200 to 500 eggs in a lifetime.
Bed Bug Feeding habits
- Bed Bugs have three life stages (eggs, nymphs and adults).
- Bed Bugs are most active at night and can feed on multiple hosts, including but not limited to humans and pets. Bed Bugs can travel 5–20 ft to feed.
- Females can lay 1 to 5 eggs a day (up to 200–500 within her lifetime) using a sticky substance to attach the eggs (4-8 clusters) in and on surfaces. Eggs hatch in 6 to 10 days.
- Bed Bugs hide in bed tufts, cracks and crevices, and even electronics, and can be hard to locate.
- Nymphs have five nymphal instars (molts), each requiring a blood meal.
- In most Bed Bug populations, the life stages consist of approximately 12% adults, 54% nymphs and 34% eggs. Feed at night using a piercing beak, but victims may not feel anything or have any reaction to their bites
- Can live for more than a year without a blood meal
- Do not transmit any any known diseases
How can D & D Pest Control Co. help ?
Each bed bug infestation is unique and, therefore, requires a customized treatment plan designed specifically for your infestation by one of D & D Pest Control’s licensed and trained technicians. Typically Bed Bug infestations are eliminated through the careful and precise application of residual insecticides. These usually include the use of a registered Insect Growth Regulator (IGR). IGR’s mimic insect growth hormones and do not allow the bed bug to develop into its next growth stage, causing deformation and death. It is recommend that the homeowner wash any bed linen, blankets, etc, that can be washed, in borax’s and hot water.
In severe bed bug infestations, pinpoint fogging with a Actisol can be applied to cracks and crevices in the entire buildings (whole-structure), certain parts of a building (compartmentalized), or certain materials, including head boards, base boards, box springs and furniture. Pin point treatment is the best option for treating bed bugs when immediate eradication of bed bugs is required, such as in Hotels , Apartments, multi- unit dwellings (hotels, apartments and dormitories), when occupants are highly allergic to bites or when there is zero tolerance for the infestation.
Call D & D Pest Control Co. at(252) 638-1009 for an free estimate or inspection, so that we can eliminate your Bed Bug problem.